• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to me 94 Ranger 2.3 - Code Reader Horror

CDC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, Clay from DC here. I recently procured a 150k 94 Ranger 2.3 manual 2wd regular cab and I'm trying to get it running right. I'll try to keep some documentation in of the work I'm doing on the truck, but if this is not the right place for it, let me know and I'll start a new thread.

It drove and sounded ok on the test drive, but when I got it home and began to go through it in the garage I started to notice some... irregularities. There were several massive air leaks, a fuel leak when filling up, a bit of smoking on cold starts, difficulty firing up on hot starts, no horn, janky headlight switch, coolant temp never gets above 1/4 on the gauge, fuel gauge pinned at empty, and pretty bad gas mileage. All that is old car buyer beware type stuff, but to top it off, the previous owner had very carefully covered the check engine light with black electrical tape. :temper:

Following the OBD check procedures I've pulled a total of 11 codes from the computer, which is pretty horrifying.

They are:

11 System checks OK

12 Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly (generally idle too low) - ISC.

16 2.3L - RPM's too low - IDLE
(O) Electronic ignition - IDM circuit fault - Ignition Systems

22 MAP (vacuum) or BARO signal out of range - MAP

23 Throttle sensor out of range or throttle set too high - TPS

24 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) or Vane Air Temperature (VAT) sensor out of range - IAT VAT

32 EVP - (R) EGR not responding properly during test - EVP
EVR - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was low - EVR
PFE - (R, M) PFE shows low pressure, EGR not seating or memory, not seating intermittently - PFE

43 (R) HO2S sensor not reading (run at 2000 rpm's for 2 minutes and retest - check for HO2S switching)
(M) Was lean at WOT for 3 seconds or more - Fuel control

45 AIR not Diverting (AIRD) - Air Injection
Electronic Ignition - coil primary circuit failure - Ignition Systems

54 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) or Vane Air Temperature (VAT) signal high - IAT VAT

61 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is or was too low - ECT.

I have fixed the air leaks I could find, rebuilt the horn contacts, cleaned the MAF sensor (no apparent change), and currently have a thermostat, fuel level sender, junkyard TPS and headlight switch waiting to go in. I'm just sort of stumped by where to start with the rest of this stuff, and I think I need some help trying to figure out what order to proceed and how to check and maybe service the various bits and pieces rather than just throwing parts at the thing.

I'm not a bad mechanic, but mostly I work on motorcycles so the computer crap is new for me. Is it possible that there is some meta-failure that could be behind all these various issues or am I really looking at replacing all these items? Where to begin? :icon_welder:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals