• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

manifold stud bolts??

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
well my manifolds are in, and work on them starts in two weeks when i go on spring break, but they did not come with studs, just bolts for the flange. what size bolts do i need for my manifolds? are there certain ones that i have to get? or can i get some high grade ones from the harware store?

Trucks a 93 3.0 V6

also, would it be bad to torch the heads of the old bolts off, pull the manifold off, then work the studs out? the driver side is really rusty so i just want to check to see if this is ok.

michowski

Reaction score
8mm 1.25 pitch. I would run a tap through the heads before installing any new hardware. As for the rusted studs, you can use heat to get the old bolts out. Either that or just snap the bolts off.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
so i just got back from the ford dealer......$15 A STUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hope they use vaseline when they rape people of their cash.........im deffinatly gunna try the local parts store

michowski

Reaction score
just go to ace hardware if you have one or you can order em online from mcmaster-carr.com. I would just buy the threaded rod of that size and get like 2 long peices, then some nuts,washers,locking washers. Then all you gotta do is use an old bolt to get the length and just size em up and cut. I did this when I put on new heads and it was a really easy process and didnt take much time to do at all. I had the exhaust on within a half hour doing it this way. Probly be less then 15 bucks to for en entire set plus extra doing it this way too.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
yea i went on to mcmaster car and looked em up, pretty cheap, $7 for 10

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
either or, i guess it doesnt matter. but today while i was at the dealer checkin on studs n shit, we asked about the EGR tube....$120, yea right......but ive been searchin the net and i cant find anything!!! anyone know a site on where to get one for a decent price??????

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
i want bolts, but i need the size. is M8 1.25 75 the whole length of a stock stud or the nut to the end of the part thats in the head? i need to know the length of the threads that go through the manifold and into the head that way i can order bolts.

michowski

Reaction score
its m8 with 1.25 pitch. The lengths vary. The top ones are shorter then the bottom ones. Thats why I said to save your old ones and compare the sizes to get what you need. Its easier to just put studs on em imo.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
all im trying to do is get all the things i need before i dig into this project. i dont have any studs to save because i havent taken any out yet in the first place and i was trying to avoid making parts runs

michowski

Reaction score
2 long peices of threaded rod will be enough. I think my bottom studs were like 6 inches long and the tops ones were about 4 inches. Mine were longer then the stock bolts too. I threaded mine in 100% of the way untill it came out the other side on the top ones or it bottomed out on the bottom ones.

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
was there a certain type of rod that you got that had a good strength grade?

michowski

Reaction score
I got just the standard non heat treated rod. I figured with how hot the manifolds get I dont want to put any brittle hardware in there to hold it together. This is what I got and it works great. Il link ya to everything ya need to get your exhaust done. Everything for about 20 shipped. When you take your old bolts out you can then just measure them up to the rod and cut it to size.

Threaded rod, order 2 - http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=47572
Locking washers - http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1140383
flat washers - http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=1140357

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
ordered some new bolts outa mcmaster carr. so im all set on that. did you get my PM?

michowski

Reaction score
sure did and il get back to ya little later today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals