• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel not priming!

Auwe76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy!
First post here. So I have an 88 B2 and the fuel isnt priming. I hear the click from the tank so I presume the relay is good. But I don't have any priming. Is this just the fuel pump? and if so which one?

A little background; a couple of days ago I headed to work and it started fine. Went to the drive through and it was idling down so I hit the gas and it died. No sputter just a sudden die. Got it out of the drive through and it wouldn't start. I left it for a couple of hours and came back. Drove it for about a mile and it died again. Left it for another few hours and then it wouldnt even make it out of the parking lot. And again, it was a sudden die like I had turned off the ignition not the sputtering kind like low fuel. I had to tow it home because now I'm not getting any fuel.

The intermittent thing made me think it was the tfi but I have spark so I can't imagine that's it. I've checked the inertia switch and it seemed fine (i.e. the button is slightly popped up but I've tried holding it down while starting and still nothing.) I've also traced the wires from the tank to the engine bay and all the electronics and the fuel lines SEEM ok. No obvious grounds or frayed wires. I don't have a voltage tester so I can't tell for sure. But if I'm getting the click that means the electronics is fine, doesn't it?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are some recent posts that you can read that give you some great advice on what to check. You'll have to search back through a few pages of posts. (this is a common topic/issue)Start with fuel pressure test at the shrader valve, and then work your way back. There are two fuel pumps, one in tank, one on the frame, and sometimes two filters to check.
I'm betting one of the pumps is failing. Take a look at the past posts, try some of the checks, and let us know what you find.
Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals