• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is it terminal?????

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well,
Here goes. I slid off the road this past Sunday, backwards at about 40 MPH. I went into the median ditch and hit on the right rear. Scared me but no harm done, or so I thought. I was able to drive right out but a couple miles later I arrived where I was headed and heard the right front rub badly. Uh oh, it was not rubbing before. Jumped out to look and saw nothing obvious. Now to prevace this I had just replaced the steering box so my steering was a bit off so I did not notice any more "offness" in the steering and the truck tracked straight. Well I get home and see my tire is cut on the outer rim, not just rubbed. Did some quick measuring and found the right tire a 1/2 further back than the left and the truck is 1" low on the right front. Yikes! Now, I knew the right spring pocket had a slight rust issue and would eventually need replaced. Well here is what I found when I pulled the tire.:bawling:
I measured and found the pocket had partially folded. Well I pulled one from the JY, in the dark and snow! Pulled mine out just now and here is what I found.:shok:

So my first thought is the frame is toast, and so is the truck. I'm really surprised the frame did not fold!!!! Of course it is fixable but I'm not sure I can keep the frame in the correct orentation when welding in replacement steel. And this is where the upper spring pocket/shock mount is. Also hard ot see in the pics is that the frame bowed out around the upper rivet and you should see the pile of what used to be solid steel under the truck! The left side is not rusted like the right side but I can only assume it may be badly rusted too. What do you guys think? I've put a ton of effort/time/money into this truck over the last few years and hate to think it's done for.

Attachments

Last edited:

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Others can confirm, but I think this rusting through of the frame rails on the right side (only) at the spring bracket is fairly common. When I changed my right side coil bracket, I saw rather alarming rust-through of the frame on my '87 BII. I just bolted the new bracket on and ignored it, and it has been fine. Now, however, I am about to mount a small snowplow, and am wondering if the frame will bend under plowing use.

I wish I had taken the time to either bolt or weld in a support piece. If you are able to, I would consider doing this. Your truck might still be A-OK for many years. (If you don't let the rear end pass the front again.) Please report back how you address this.
Good Luck.

CraigK

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah,
I figured it might be kinda common. Well I decided to fix it as I've too much invested in it to just shoot the poor thing. I'll try to remember to take pics and such as I go. AND post back when I do those things.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Drilling and using 3/8 bolts and some 3/16 flat stock or angle depending on the problem your fixing. I dont have a welder, but I have had good luck with bolts keeping my Jeeps together. You have a rig that you know. Bash it straight and fish plate it. :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah,
Those pics look just like what I have. Going to put some 1/8 or 1/4 inch plate behind it. Not sure yet how much I can fit in the bad area due to the engine cradle. Will update soon, I hope.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No, no injuries, other than the truck. Traffic was well ahead and behind me and the snow cushioned the impact....

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All,
Thanks for the pics/info/support. Despite the past week with 12 hour days in an exercise, she is up and running again! Here are a few pics of the repair. I ground off all the rust I could then bathed the frame and replacement pocket in POR-15. I replaced the rivets with 7/16 X 1 inch long grade 8 bolts and locking compression nuts with red thread locker. Went back together quite well. Except for the bump stop. The truck I pulled the pocket from was an 85 and for some reason the bump stop was moved foward about 3/4" on my 87 than from where the 85's mounted. I figured that out as I was trying to get the pocket back in, grrrr. Nothing a drill bit and flap wheel couldn't fix though. As usual I got so wrapped up in getting it fixed I forgot to take pics. Good thing the POR-15 needed time to dry else I might have no pics to show. If anyone wants them I plan to make a replicatable pattern for the steel backer plates as I'm sure this is not the last time I'll have to do this on a BII. Thanks again!

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals