• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a 99 2.3(?) trans fit my 93?

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I thought I'd read somewhere that the 5 spd Mazda trans would fit my 93 Ranger 2.3 up thru 97, but the only thing I've found in several weeks of lookin within a couple hundred mile radius of Vegas is supposedly out of a 99 with a 2.3 (I think it should read 2.5? - anyway)

I'm going to ask them to let me pull the drain plug to see what is or is not on it in the way of debris and take a small sample of the oil to check for glitter.

Knowing there's a lot of variables, but just as a general rule of thumb for a normally driven & maintained vehicle, what would be worth taking a chance on as far as miles goes on a trans - if the drain plug magnet & the oil looked decent.

It's out of a salvage yard and they're asking $500.

Thx

flamingx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I can't help you with the fitment issue, but another concern you should be looking into is that the '93 is an OBD1 and the '99 is a OBD2 (dianostic mumbo jumbo) If I remember correctly (on the 4.0 5spd anyway) there is only one sensor you need to worry about, but will that work or atleast swap over?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would like to know two things...

I thought I'd read somewhere that the 5 spd Mazda trans would fit my 93 Ranger 2.3 up thru 97, but the only thing I've found in several weeks of lookin within a couple hundred mile radius of Vegas is supposedly out of a 99 with a 2.3 (I think it should read 2.5? - anyway)
How is this "Explorer and/or Bronco II" related?

Sorry I can't help you with the fitment issue, but another concern you should be looking into is that the '93 is an OBD1 and the '99 is a OBD2 (dianostic mumbo jumbo)
And how is the OBD I/OBD II barrier relevant to a manual transmission?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
This thread was in general discussions too. i posted on it.
and yes the trans will fit fine, only issue is with the speedo gear.
i think ull need a tail swap on the trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals