• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"2.9, Won't fire!"

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
I recently found, my computer was for a 3.0l, Taurus or Sable. I have, the 2.9l computer on its way. I reinstalled, the distributor, ignition coil and EEC relay, cap, plugs, wires. Line'd the distributor with #1 plug and rotor to #1 on the cap and the TC line on the harmonic guage. It won't fire. Yes and I've been removing the spout wire every time. I've turned it back about a dozen times now. I switched the cap wire back one contact to see what that would do.
To start with, though. I accidently wired, the distrubutor 180 degrees it started warmed up and ran OK (as it ever did without the proper ECM). I test drove it. It sputterd, cut out and ran poorly with no power and to boot, I was in a place in traffic where I couldn't pull off (overconfident). So I had to drive it like that for a while. When I got back and shut it down, I started to set it up for rewiring the distrubutor and each time, I rewire it. There's still, no spark!

"Was tun Sie zum, mein, Colongne V6?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wait, you put the plug wires on backwards and it ran. You put them on "right" and it quit.

I'd say they weren't wrong to begin with.

That far back I can see a 2.9 running on a 3.0 computer. Possibly even running properly. The computer system isn't that complex and the control circuits and components are pretty much the same. The ignition system is stand alone though. Aside from where a circuit gets interrupted by the PCM being absent the ignition system should function perfectly without it.

Your efforts to time the engine from scratch may meet with more success if you would line it up with the -10* mark instead.

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"Oops! Not -.10 but .10, 0 and TF."

Sound Man,
We only set the balancer at +.10, 0 and TF. Well try, -.10 tomorrow. Thank You."

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah you want it at 10* Before top dead, that's -10*. It should still fire at +10* but run terribly and have no power at all.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hate to throw this question in but what "other" computers can work with our BII's? Just wondering, incase of an "emergency" situaution...It would be cool to have some kind of list of swappable parts.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Any 2.9 computer of the same year or later, trans, and air metering system will work. Different trans will work in a pinch.

In a severe emergency I can see a computer from a comparable year 3.0 or 3.8 working as well. It was the same ignition system and most of the rest should be close enough for Jazz. Might not run wonderfully, but I'd be money that you could at least drive it.

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"Wire Break."

"After seven weeks down, my B2 lives again. After the replacement of nearly all, the ignition parts. There was, no go. A wiring search revealed the, red wire coming from the distributor's, spout wire to, the EEC relay had been rubbing on the fender for, twenty five years. It was rubbed right through until just, a couple strands were left making contact. When just one strand was, left. No signal was getting to the ECM to turn on, the fuel system. The replacement and resolder of about, 2 inches of wire, brought everything back on. The old computer had to be used. A, full signal running throught this wire is sending, a full signal and with all the new, ignition parts. My, Bronco II runs better than ever. It should even get better gas mileage. I'd say. Thanks to all concerned:icon_cheers:. Success.:yahoo:
Let this be, a lesson to us all. Your vehicle problems aren't always obvious. Some trained, detective work might be needed.":icon_thumby:

B2 Addict

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
37x12.50-17
Glad to hear ya got lil blue back on the road man! Since she's running better than ever now, I see a trip down south in your future! :headbang:

djhitz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2-1987's
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
2.9l V6
Transmission
Automatic
"South!

:yahoo:"It'll happen as soon as, I can work out:icon_confused:, the details:D, B2 Addict.":headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals