• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project daily5.0

87rusted5oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
Well to start off i was given what was thought to be a good solid truck, with blown 2.0 engine. What turned out is a solid frame and pretty decent bed with the cab floor almost entirely rotted out. So out with the motor, trans and interior. Then to clean everything up. I have already acquired some good parts for the swap. I picked up a 91 F150 5.0, 94 Mustang T5, and an 01 sport trac 8.8 rear end with 3.55's. I need to gather up many other parts so i thought i would ask some veterans on here what you would recommend.

Needs list:
clutch/flywheel
slave cylinder
radiator
drive shaft
motor mounts
headers

And the needed, but already know what i want are GT40 heads, GT40 intake, and custom exhaust. The rear end is sorted out too as far as welding spring perches on.

The truck isn't meant to be a show stopper. Im building it to be a well rounded pickup. I want it to look good, have decent power, and be reliable.

jhammel85

Looking forward to seeing some pics! Sounds like a solid build.

87rusted5oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
Project Pics

Some pics of tear down and parts aquired for this project

87rusted5oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
Well I haven't had a lot of time lately but I purchased most of my engine parts, my rear end parts and new floor pans. Im still waiting on the floor pans to arrive though. I have the 5.0 torn down and ready to go to the machine shop to be cleaned, honed, new cam bearings and the holes tapped for the spider. The sport trac rear will be going to have the tubes welled in and have the shock mounts and spring perches welded on hopefully this week. Hopefully i will have my floor pans by then so i can get the transmission test fitted and get the cab floor and tunnel figured out. Then the floor will be rino lined and undercoated for a nice finish. I have new timing chain and gears, oil pump and oil pump drive shaft E303 cam and roller lifters a new spider cam retaining plate, Sealed Power bearings and rings, ARP main studs, and Felpro gaskets for it. I also picked up a GT40 intake manifold from an explorer for it. Now im looking for GT40 heads and then to purchase roller rockers, valve springs, and pushrods. After I finish that stuff, I'm going to get hooker headers and 75mm BBk throttle body, bigger injectors and the motor will be complete for now. I am picking up refinish monte carlo high backed bucket seat this weak and then when the floor is finished going to build a center console for two 6.5 speakers, cup holders, and a power outlet. Will try and post pics of work as i get it done.

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
Are you looking for gt40 or gt40p heads

87rusted5oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
Either but im not sure if the hookers will work with p heads so i'd prefer regular gt40's.

bmxnick7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Transmission
Automatic
How far do they come out before turning back and down. I had jbas on a 5 liter with gt40p. Reason I asked is I can get a set of gt40p for about 200 bucks

87rusted5oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302ci
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a set of 93 Cobra GT40s in nice shape for a decent price. The block is at the machine shop. I have all motor parts now except rockers and pushrods. I even picked up a set of high back buckets from a 70's MonteCarlo.
They are redone in black suede and black vinyl. Just need to modify the seat brackets and they will work great.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking good so far. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not getting my truck sand blasted before putting in my cage. If you have the time and resources I'd highly recommend sandblasting, even if not putting in a cage or roll bar. It will save you considerable time in the long run when doing work on your truck.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals