• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater Hose Confusion

RhodeRash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Need to get the truck on the road ASAP.

Background. I have a 2.3L 1989 Ranger that was overheating the last few days and it was dripping coolant where the heater hose meets the Tee near the valve cover (on the side of the Tee where the small diameter hose connects to the metal vacuum tube) -- causing all kinds of steam. The thermostat was bad and the hoses looked like they needed replacing -- so I took them out with plans to replace them. (Additional info: the water pump was replaced in May).

Problem. I am confused by the heater hoses and their connections. The heater hose on the coming out of the inner side of the heater core (closest to the middle of the engine) was connected to the water outlet of the thermostat housing. The heater hose coming out of the outer side of the heater core ran to a plastic Tee. From the Tee a smaller hose is connected to the metal tube towards the back of the engine and from the front of the Tee it is connected, via another a length of heater hose, to the water pump.

My questions:
1. Does the layout to the heater hose to the Tee connector sound correct? When I go to Autozone they are giving me additional heater hose configuration options for my vehicle, which is leading to further confusion. The Haynes manual has not been helpful in this regard.
2. What kind of hose do I need to replace the smaller diameter hose (which was also junk) that connected from the Tee to the metal tubing?

Last edited:

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'd honestly have to see what you are looking at to tell you if it was routed correctly before you started.

Take a section of each hose you need to replace with you to the store and you'll be able to match up the diameter.
It should all be standard heater core hose in the small diameters.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I can't remember if the 89s had a heater bypass, but it almost looks like someone tried to replace the bypass with just a regular old T.

RhodeRash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
They do sell bypass hoses for the 89. Is that where it would connect?

Attachments

noahkenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
They do sell bypass hoses for the 89. Is that where it would connect?
I have the same model and engine. That metal tube goes around the back of the valve cover and ends up at a connection under the intake. I believe this is the bypass hose. Mine had a tee and hose assembly made together. It busted a couple years ago and you cant get it anymore. I ended up making a new one out of pipe fittings. You water circuit comes from the water pump to the tee. The 90 degree turn goes to the heater core and straight though the tee is the bypass hose. That bypass tube might have a hole rusted in it. I ended up replacing mine with a rubber hose. Then the other heater hose goes to the water neck.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
To circulate coolant through the lower intake (to heat the intake) there must be a "goes into" and a "Goes out of" for "flow" to actually happen.

You can easily eliminate that hose and replace the fitting on the lower intake with a pipe plug.

It's not like anyone is ever going to run a full EPA test cycle on your decades old truck.

As for "Normal coolant flow" the "PRIMARY" flow path is for the water pump to presureize the block with cool water from the radiator.

From the block coolant flows up into the head.

At that point it flows out to the heater core and the RETURN line goes to the water pump.

When cold this is the only way coolant flows.

The secondary coolant path diverts hot water from the T-stat housing to the
radiator and back to the water pump.

Until 94-ish all Ford Ranger/Explorer/Bronco2 had unobstructed flow through the heater core
at all times (the AIR was controlled to regulate cabin heat) Starting in 1994 Ford started using a vacuum controlled heater control valve that diverts water around the heater core.

That is the bypass, but before 1994-ish no Ranger actually had a "bypass"

AD

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thats good chit Alan.

RhodeRash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
You guys are the best!

Thanks for all your help as I have my truck up and running with no coolant leaks or overheating (so far).

I was too impatient to wait for molded hose, so I ended up buying it by the roll, cutting what I needed, and using some plastic connections for the more extreme angles. For now, I used 3/8" fuel line hose for the connection from the Tee to the little metal intake pipe that runs next to the valve cover. Next time I might just put a plug on the end of the metal tube as suggested.

Thanks again.

Phideaux

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I realize this is a very old thread, but I have this same issue with my '89 Ranger and I have a question. My hose seems to be broke/disconnected where it goes into the head. The problem is that I can't see behind there to tell exactly how it's connected. Does anyone know of a diagram, video, article, or anything showing what kind of fitting is there? Or maybe someone knows and can tell me?

kabappa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 87 ranger 4cyl and the bypass sounds the same. On mine I can only see or get at it from under the truck looking up and removing the oil filter. The hose just connects onto a metal pipe sticking out and is held on with a small clamp. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals