• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How To: Electric Fan 2 Speed w/ AC

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
This is a quick How To on the basics of an E-Fan install. This is how i did mine, and its worked out great!

Feel free to add any info that could help people with this.

Also, i nor is this site, responsible for if you do this mod and something doesnt work or goes wrong. every truck is different, and you may have to improvise.

Now, Lets begin!

first off your going to need to remove your old fan:

as you can see, very little room before:

First thing to do is pull the intake:

Next, pull the fan and unbolt the shroud. (2 bolts on shroud)

i didnt have the tool to remove the bolt, so i took a big hammer and a chissle and hit the edge of the bolt, and it spun off my hand. 4.0 is regular thread, right tight left loose. 3.0 is backwards (right to losen) not sure what 4 Cyl is, sorry.

Tons of space now!

Had to make my own mounts, made out of stainless. probably 14 guage. get the fan where you want it, then setup how you want to mount it. MAKE SURE IT CLEARS EVERYTHING!!!

Waterpump clearence:
alow for atleast a half inch.

Now, you need to get a few things together.

1x Thermostat to turn on power at set temp. (get adjustable one)
2x relays ~ Dual Pole type 30A(get what the fan draws on high) I reccomend waterproof ones.
1x roll of 10 guage wire (power to fan and ground)
1x roll of 16 guage for signal wire
3x packs of female conectors 10 guage
2x pack of female conects 16 guage
1x pack butt connectors 10 guage
2x pack vampire clips 16 guage.
1x 30A inline fuse

remember, depending on the fan you use, these numbers and wire thinkness can change!

what you need to do is find a ignition power wire (on when key is on) for the T-Stat's power, so it can send power down the signal wire, to trip the relays. I used the wire that runs to my cig lighter, as its setup for ignition on off.

baiscally, the thermostat comes on with the truck. when it senses heat, at a certain temp it send power down the signal wire to one relay. that relay is grounded, so it activates the switch on the relay.

Power from the battery (with fuse inline) goes into #30. when power from the thermostat is sent to the relay, it goes through #85 and the to a ground plugged into #86. this activates a coil, which sends the power from the #30 to the #87(not "a") and into the fan. #87 is plugged into the fan high wire.

now, this is what turns the high speed on. works great cus you can adjust it on the T-Stat.

now, for low, you run a wire from the positive on the ac pump, to the second relay #85. be sure to run a ground for #86 in this relay as well.

now heres where the first relay comes back into play. Run a wire from the #87a on the first relay, to the #30 on the second relay. this will now give the second relay power when the first one is not activated by the T-Stat. Now, run a wire from the low speed on the fan, to 87(not "a") on the second relay. What this does, is cycles the slow speed with the AC pump.

why you do this:

you must have a fan going on the ac condensor when the ac is running.

this setup runs the slow speed on the ac cycle, but if the T-stat senses high temp, it will disconect the slow relay and run the high until the temp drops, then bringing the slow back on and running it with the ac. Note: it will only run with the ac if its on. if the ac is not on, it wont run slow speed. .

if done correctly, when you start the truck and trun the ac on, the slow will kick on. if the truck gets too hot, the high will bypass the low, cool it and then return power to the low speed relay. if the ac is off and the temp is below the setting, no power will be drawn.

if you got lost in that heres a simple wire setup:

#30 is power in
#85 is signal in
#86 is signal out (or ground)
#87 is power out when signal wire is powered
#87a is power out when signal wire is not powered.

now, 87 and 87a could be switched depending on what kind of relay you get. meaning the off plug could be 87a not 87.

if you look at a relay, theres 2 plugs going one way, and 3 going the other.

the two are power out. of the 3 going the opposite way, the ones across from eachother are signal, and the one alone is power in.

any questions email Clarke_n@live.com

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Nice write-up.

Do you have pics of the wiring setup, itself? That's the tricky part that people have trouble with.

Last edited:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
Cool write up!
Whats the power like now that you dont have the mechanic fan?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I find the truck has better throttle response, it doesn't drag out first gear like it used to when starting. And so far I'm getting better mpg. I've heard these fans suck anywhere from 5 to 30 hp depending on rpm.

And thanks, when I was doing it I couldn't find a write up. So I figured I'd make one.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
I find the truck has better throttle response, it doesn't drag out first gear like it used to when starting. And so far I'm getting better mpg. I've heard these fans suck anywhere from 5 to 30 hp depending on rpm.

And thanks, when I was doing it I couldn't find a write up. So I figured I'd make one.
The mechanical fans suck that much hp? Really? Everyone says its better mpg or whatnot, but there is never an actual figure. What is the difference now/current mpg?

Also, which efan did you use? Taurus, Flexalite, Tbird, etc?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The mechanical fans suck that much hp? Really? Everyone says its better mpg or whatnot, but there is never an actual figure. What is the difference now/current mpg?

Also, which efan did you use? Taurus, Flexalite, Tbird, etc?
im running a 93 topaz, and so far it works, but i think i will want to put in a second one, or get a bigger unit. just to increase air flow. (i like to do thing overkill)

before the fan, at half a tank i would have roughly 240km on the trip meter. now, i hit 240 between 3/4 and 1/2. at half i had 265. i havent killed my tank yet, but i will tonight. ill get an actual MPG figure up. Oh and with my power programer, i set my spedo so its correct. so they are proper #'s. im hoping for about 20. this is city driving too. and i havent been light on the gas this tank.

and also, if you think about it. the gas powered blowers usually are atleast a 10 hp to get a fan that size moving with any amount of speed.

one of the ways it saves gas, is getting the truck up to temp faster. especially in the winter. i expect to feel heat alot sooner then i did before.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pleased to report back that I have seen a nice mpg increase. Before the fan, I'd see about 400-430 per tank. With the setup now, and not babying the gas, I get 500 every tank! My highway mpg have dropped to about 18, but my city is around 21, but that's because of my 4.56 gears

Last edited:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My last tank gave me 19.6 mpg. 60 liters, on 500 kms

Also tested the heat in this cold flash, and I see heat in half the time I did before.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good writeup...:icon_thumby:

I need to check my coolant level...think I mixed it too rich because it does not blow heat...and I think I'm gonna need that soon...very soon!

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
or your T-Stat could be stuck closed. theres a few things.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Wow, thanks. Good helpful discovery.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Past tank gave me 19.4 mpg. It's gotten really good mpg today. Did 200 km on a quarter tank. Lol idk how that works. Rather not ask!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals