• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

coupla dumb questions I can't find answers for

hankbarrelchest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, I did a search on the forum and I *know* I've seen it answered already, but I can't find it right now for whatever reason.

Gonna replace the front brakes, rotors, bearings, and seals on my 2002 2wd Ranger Edge this weekend. I'm getting parts from Autozone and using their parts database

1) what size rotors do I need? They list 261mm and 287mm rotors.

2) offhand, does anyone know what size socket I need to remove the spindle nut? I don't think I have a socket big enough to fit and I don't want to get halfway through the job to find out that indeed I don't.

Thanks in advance - I'm 1000 miles away from my friends and their garages and tools, so I'm going this one alone.

Harris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
As far as rotor size it may be easiest to simply pull a wheel off and measure the one you have on there.

Pertaining to the spindle nut, it shouldn't be on very tight and I've always just used a large pair of channel-lock pliers or crescent wrench. (If you have to choose between the two of those, make the crescent wrench your first choice.) When you replace the nut make sure you don't get it too tight since that will put too much pressure on your pretty new bearings.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Try two or three turns past the cotter pin hole...you have to fit that retainer over the nut and slide the cotter pin through so as long as that's done you should be good to go...unless the newer trucks don't use the cotter pin...then you can always count the number of turns it takes to take the old one off...that also works for alignment of tie rod ends...

hankbarrelchest

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the responses, guys. I was planning on getting a torque wrench from Autozone and if I pull the wheel off before Saturday to check on the size of the rotor I may try to size up what socket I'll need. According to the guide that I have, it recommends tightening the nut, then loosening a bit - I imagine it's to seat the bearings and seals.

Anyone know anything more about the rotor size?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals