• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tonneau covers

FFGlen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone ever fabbed their own tonneau cover? I'm looking at making a soft top, and I'm wondering if there are any materials you guys suggest over any others. (I'm leaning toward vinyl, since I currently live in rain country, and I'm joining the army - who knows where they'll send me)

Right now I'm looking at six foot strips of velcro for the sides, and possibly hinges for the back of the bed by the cab, and hinges maybe for the tailgate.

Currently I'm also considering putting in a light bar, so I'm trying to figure out how to rig up a cover that can work around that. I'm not sold on putting the bar up on the bed sides, but it may be inevitable.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Boat material. Go to an upholstery shop and see what they can sell you or go to one of those cloth shops that sell materials. Years ago I had a custom cover made to access my CB whip antenna and my alloy tool box. The guy used my cover and just re-did it and mounted my snaps back in place. It came out really nice and it did not cost me a bunch either. That was back in the late 80's early 90's of course. It was about $50 to do the cover. Nowadays it might be way too much..but it can't hurt to ask about having somebody doing it for you if you want it to come out really nice. I have seen a few jobs that somebody has done that came out 100% pure crap and it will always look 100% pure crap!!!! Maybe you can Google how to make it yourself and follow the directions...can't hurt, Bro!!!

Mudnutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
FFGlen, since you are considering velcro for the sides, you might want to consider it all the way around. I see aftermarket covers sold with velcro all the way around and figure they must hold up as they have been available for many years. Velcro would also be easier to apply, you just need a decent sewing machine. I have the Extang Black Max which has the aluminum frame that clamps to the bed rails and the cover snaps onto the frame (all the way around, even the front of the bed).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals