• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emissions with only 1 cat

rededge02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
will my 02 ford ranger still pass emissions if i cut off the 2 cat and still leave the first? Because dont most of the older ones only have 1 converter?

bartkowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had a 96 with the 2 cat setup and had to replace the exhaust on it, I replace the setup with 1 cat and had no problems but the original setup was the O2 sensor was between the cats so it was only reading from one. I have an '03 now just got it a few weeks ago and haven't crawled underneath yet. But it your O2 is between the 2 cats then as long as you place the O2 after the new one you will be fine.

rededge02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So if i removed the front cat the o2 censor would still be after the remaining cat. so i wouldnt need to relocate in this circumstance. correct?

bartkowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If your O2 sensor is only after the 1 cat then yes as long as the O2 sensor is after a cat. if it is after both cats then, well, I just don't know if you will trip any codes. Usually the second cat is just far enough away to make it difficult to relocate the O2 sensor due to wire length. If you were going to remove 1 I would remove the second or the one closest to the exhaust tip. I do know that you can buy universal cats a little longer to make up for a 2 cat setup. The standard seems to be 12" on universals and some offer 18" cats that would probably be the way to go if your sensor is after both.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You will fail a visual inspection if the mechanic know what he's looking for. Aside from that you might be ok but it's still illegal.

Matt

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The way the stock cats work I believe they must all be used to work correctly. An aftermarket cat combines everything in one and will pass with no problems.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the older rangers will pass emissions with one factory cat, however any OBDII system will require both factory cats or a single aftermarket unit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals