• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BIG rbv fan. questions on the general "RBV"

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I recently read in a magazine not too long ago about a "Global Ranger".
Any news about when my fellow americans and i are going to get our hands on this beauty??

BTW! just a quick question, does an '05 Escape count as an RBV????
haha just a dumb question, it feels and acts like a newer ranger, it's "4wd" and handles better than most 4wd SUVs off-road, never had it locked into the automatic 4wd yet, don't think i'll ever have to, its more of a year-round baby carraige, gets amazing gas mileage, and has always made life easier, except for my recent move. you can't use it as a pack mule. it is very very small when it comes down to moving 3 people.
anyone know anythign about lifts or add-on accessories to make this thing look more like a REAL ford rather than some variety of a commuter haha i love the car and its a friggin beast. little 3.0 v6 w/ auto trans (O/D) wish it was a stick but Mrs. Angry-Legal-Driver told my empty wallet'd ass that she doesn't want to learn to drive a manual tranny. so i had to ramp it up a bit and drain my ass to completely and totally pay the car off up front so we would have our baby carrier, but it was worth every cent.
i recommend this car to anyone and everyone, stay away from the i4 w/ auto trans, it seemed sluggish (brand new) compared to the used v6 w/ or w/o auto trans, they both hauled ass. i have taken the family camping and followed a few fullsize 4x4's (lockers and all) through some gnarly shit with my stock escape, its an amazing car, independently i can take it through more places than my '91 burb with its dana 60s and 350 tbi thanks to the short wheel base and automatic 4wd.

anyways! just saying how much the escape surprised me, thank you ford for making life easy and cost effective for my little family!
and if anyone has any suggestions on a brush guard or roof rack or anything "bolt-on" that i can add to the escape to make it look like the little angry beast it is please let me know!

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
oh.... forgot to mention the reason we took the escape out on the trails......

i have thoroughly managed to kill what was already dead. again.

The Undead Ranger, is yet again, dead.
:bawling:

broken motor mounts, deflated stock front suspension, bed is torn apart on the inside, my repaired front body panels are yet again in desperate need of repair, cracked windshield, warranty decided to void itself on the glass, the doors no longer open from the outside, there is a short near the starter that fried the starter, and i'm yet again illegally driving my illegal chevy instead of my cop magnet ranger.
the good news is, i just saved my own ass, i no longer have any warrants for illegal driving, so by the next time i get pulled over, The Undead Ranger should be street legal! myself included!:icon_cheers:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
BTW! just a quick question, does an '05 Escape count as an RBV????

stay away from the i4 w/ auto trans,
1) NO, its not.

2) I agree. The 4 cyl is WAY TOO slow. We rented one to drive from NJ to Georgia. We took I-81 down, and had to beat the piss out of it the whole way up and down the mountains to keep it at 90-100. :dunno:

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
i feel like you're about 16 or 17... am i right? last i read (and you would too if you'd use the SEARCH function or google) is that the global ranger isn't coming to the US

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i read a wiles ago of skyjackers selling a kit so you can squeeze some 31s under the escape

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i feel like you're about 16 or 17... am i right? last i read (and you would too if you'd use the SEARCH function or google) is that the global ranger isn't coming to the US
haha no most certainly not 16 or 17, thanks though.
and it was a topic starter, i was mainly asking if the global ranger was ever going to have any kind of similar "cousin" in the US. i know the global ranger is never coming to the US, but will we ever see something the likes of it here?

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i read a wiles ago of skyjackers selling a kit so you can squeeze some 31s under the escape
nice, in your opinion would that be even slightly worth attempting on a family vehicle? haha i love the idea, and i would like to do it, but would it seem practical to anyone?

TheUndeadRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Espcae was never offered in V6/manual.
good to know, i wish it did, that would have been very very nice, of course that would have ruled it out as a family vehicle for my family, but i HATE AUTO TRANS! it is a worthless excuse for lazy people. of course that is my thoughts on the automatic transmission in general. i have never liked driving any automatic car, they shift at the worst possible times in my opinion and i have never had a good fun driving experience, emphasis on FUN, in an automatic transmission.
i was raised driving a 87 VW rabbit, 5 speed, diesel, small, fast, FUN.
my next car was an 86 accord, v-tech, short shift, 5 speed, small, fast, fun.
next was a 71 F-100 SWB stepside, 4 speed, BIG, ballsy, fun.
since then i've owned about a dozen assorted cars and trucks, aside from my ranger, none of them have been nearly as enjoyable as a good ole stick shift.

and BTW, how the hell do i seem 16 or 17?! haha i'm pleased to hear that, but seriously now........
i enjoy conversation and debate, i'm very stubborn, and highly misinformed.
not a juvenile.

but back to my rant, am i the only one that doesn't like driving an automatic?

i have to add one last thing, i have no license, never have and can't for a few more years due to driving w/o a license, so most of my driving experiences are either on a closed course or off road (dirt roads in the backwoods AZ count as off road, even if they are residential) but i did have a learners permit at one point in time, allowing me to drive G-ma's buick across the state a few times. Maybe the offroader in me thinks an Auto trans get in the way and allows for laziness, yes i know some applications are too demanding to have the time to pay attention to shifting and using both feet for pedals, but i have not found one place an auto beats a manual.
am i wrong in saying an auto trans is laziness at its fullest?

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
to keep it at 90-100. :dunno:
I like you xD

Also, the only time an auto beats a manual is top fuel drag racers. People just can't shift fast enough for that 1/8 mile run, added to the fact that a standard trans would probably be ripped to shreds.

I hope to god we don't get the Global Ranger, which we aren't, because to me it's butt ugly. That's like if you were a child, and had your favorite toy taken away and given a new one that lacks sentimental value and American workmanship (even though workmanship has suffered from time to time).

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My friend has an 08 escape, v6 and auto. I love that car to death, i convinced him to buy a ford for his next car, he use to be a Cadillac guy, then he dabbed into Chrysler and finally bought a ford. He has claimed on several occasion that his escape has been one of the best cars he has bought. Sadly he bought a 2wd model but he has yet to get stuck in the snow.

I must be one of the only ones who actually like the global ranger. I think it looks sweet, and with those diesel options it is even more appealing. I like manuals, but my family has always bought auto's. I drive me brother Cherokee every once in a while which is a manual, i enjoy driving it and am in the process of swapping to a manual.

Old Man Emu makes a lift kit for your year of escape. Here is a link i came upon with a quick search on google.

http://www.rocky-road.com/escapesus.html

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I like you xD

Also, the only time an auto beats a manual is top fuel drag racers. People just can't shift fast enough for that 1/8 mile run, added to the fact that a standard trans would probably be ripped to shreds.

I hope to god we don't get the Global Ranger, which we aren't, because to me it's butt ugly. That's like if you were a child, and had your favorite toy taken away and given a new one that lacks sentimental value and American workmanship (even though workmanship has suffered from time to time).
It 1000' ! Top Fuel doesnt even use a "trans" in the usual definition. Its really a 1 speed gearbox. They slip the clutch most of the run.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It 1000' ! Top Fuel doesnt even use a "trans" in the usual definition. Its really a 1 speed gearbox. They slip the clutch most of the run.
I just facepalmed. Hard. idk why I said 1/8th lol.

I know, but it's still a means by which power is transfered in some prgressive ratio to apply power, and aside from a clutch it isn;t operated by any input from the driver so I'd say it counts :p

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals