• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions: Mossberg Tactical .22lr

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I know I've been gone for awhile, working on average 55 hours a week or more, but I heard about this particular rifle and wondered if anyone has/used one and what your opinion of it is? I might get one myself if its even halfway decent, local gun shop quoted me $249.99, seems like a good deal considering comparable S&W's and such are $400+ generally.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
honestly, what is the point of a rifle like that in a .22lr???? that's what i don't understand.

i could take that $250 and get a used savage 110 that looks brand new w/ a scope, in 30-06 flavor! but that would be useful for me...

what do you do with a rifle like you've shown?

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Well .22lr ammo is cheap, 525 round brick for $15.00, and its just fun to shoot targets with, or the occasional yard pests, like coyotes, that keep coming around and like to try and stare me down through the door.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
To me, .22lr is pretty much useful for very small game and light target shooting because the ammo is cheap. Or small pocket guns for self defense.

With 250 bucks, or not much more, you could get something a bit more versatile. Just depends on what you'd use it for.

EDIT- perfect reasons for a .22lr then lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i reload my own 30-06's and order bulk m2 greek ball ammo for the m1 garand... now that is a fun target gun :yahoo::headbang::icon_rofl::D

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
My fiance's dad reloads .223 rounds, saves him alot of money. Sad thing is even reloaders are having to pay more to reload centerfire ammo like that. Said that the primer he uses used to cost him around $20, but now its up to around $50 last I knew. One of the reasons I opted for a rimfire rifle, even better that it resembles its bigger 5.56mm/.223 centerfire cousins, at least IMO (of course in looks only).

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
idk how much primers are.. my dad bought like 2 cases of them several years ago. each case was 5 boxes of 1000 primers.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't know either if he didn't tell me a couple weeks ago. I know he has to buy it fairly often though because he shoots around 500 rounds every time he goes to the range, which is about once a week. Me personally, I just wanted the look and feel of an AR minus the crazy price of ammunition, plus everything I said earlier. The rails are a bonus for me too, iron sights work but I much prefer optics.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so that rifle sounds like a good deal for you then... i couldn't personally justify tho lol

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
I agree, seems like a good deal. But I haven't found anyone around here that owns one.... so no real way to know if its truly any good. If people start posting up here that its a pile of junk (insert reason here), then I'll just save up for the S&W version. More expensive but well worth it from what I've heard.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
a .22 is a good caliber for an all purpose gun. cheap to shoot, fun to shoot and you can actually use it for alot of things (hunting, home defense)

i have a semi auto savage F64 (?, i think that's the model). it has a 20" bull barrel on it and holds a 10 round clip. i have 5 or 6 clips for it. fun as hell to shoot. i buy 550 round bricks from walmart for $18.xx.....got 4 bricks in the gun case right now. on a rest, i can shoot through the same hole over and over @ 25 yards. it holds about a 3 inch group @ 50 yards and maybe a foot @ 100 yards. not bad for being semi auto. best thing is that it was only $160 out the door brand new. i've easily put 40,000 rounds through, it's all still original and functions flawlessly (as long as i use its favorite ammo, otherwise the bolt wont cycle properly)

the best part is you can kill something with it fairly easy, it's pretty quiet (compared to other calibers) and there's pretty much no recoil. if someone were to break into my house during the night, half asleep i could easily empty all 10 rounds into them. i dont care how small the bullet is, 10 of those will put quite a hitch in your giddy-up.

also, i think a lot of people forget that the M16 (and most of the variants -AR15, M4, etc.) was designed to use what is pretty much a .22 cal bullet. it just has a larger shell and uses more powder.

$250 sounds like a pretty damn good deal, get it. i'm actually about to make a new gun purchase myself, gettin a handgun with my tax return.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
..but the m1 bullet is bigger! lol..

alright, i'll get outta here now, i know nothing about the semi auto 22s lol

crbnunit

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a fun little rifle!

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm leery of Mossberg to begin with, that being said, I finger ****ed one the other day and it felt.....cheap. Probably will need some tuning to get it to run flawlessly, but it's an AR so treat it like one and it should be fine.

Why not get a Ruger 10/22? Or if you already have an AR15, a drop in .22 conversion.

-Jester

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
I know I've been gone for awhile, working on average 55 hours a week or more, but I heard about this particular rifle and wondered if anyone has/used one and what your opinion of it is? I might get one myself if its even halfway decent, local gun shop quoted me $249.99, seems like a good deal considering comparable S&W's and such are $400+ generally.

I'd rock it, if for no other reason than it's stupid cheap to use for plinking/target/varmint use. Enough firepower to do the job (there are no lions, or tigers, or elephants to bag in our area) and not so much that you have to worry about over-penetration and/or errant hi-cal rounds if you miss.

I've had Mossberg shotguns before, and have never had a problem with them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals